Thomson multimedia timeline (1930-1960)
1930 - Sarnoff was named RCA's third President. RCA
showed television pictures on a six-foot screen at an RKO theater
in New York. The 60-line images were transmitted from experimental
station W2XBS. CFTH strengthened its radiology business creating
Companie Générale de Radiologie (CGR).
1931 - Electric lamps were up for restructuring.
CFTH approach Philips to form Fabriques Réunies de Lampes
Electriques (FRLE). Thus, CFTH purchase of 80% of the equity of
wireless manufacturer Ducretet. The most significant is by merging
with Alsthom, Alsacienne de Construction Mécanique. Thomas
Edison died; electric lights throughout the U.S. were turned off
for one minute in honor of the inventor.
1932 - First NBC experimental TV broadcasted with
live talent. RCA tied to General Electric and Westinghouse, becoming
a self-contained company.
1933 - RCA Victor and NBC moved into Radio City at
1936 - Nationalization hit Hotchkiss as it had hit
Brandt and the other French arms producers. Henri Guitton and
Serge Berline developed the magnetron. CFTH bought Etablissements
Kraemer. Thomson-Houston expanded into professional radio broadcast
equipment. Television field tests began in New York City.
1937 - Professor Elihu Thomson died in Massachusetts
at the age of 83. CSF presented its first television prototype.
1938 - Auguste Detoeuf took over as Chairman of Thomson
but left voluntarily in December 1940 to head the Comité
d'Organisation de la Construction Electrique. CFTH took the control
of CGR (Companie Générale de Radiologie).
1939 - Sarnoff introduced RCA television at the New
York World's Fair.
1940 - Bloomington plant, Indiana, acquired from
Showers Brothers Furniture Company.
1944 - Sarnoff coordinated communications during
the "D-Day" invasion at Normandy, and is promoted to the reserve
rank of brigadier general.
1945 - RCA Laboratories in Princeton, New Jersey
demonstrated improved black-and-white and mechanical color TV
1946 - Following World War II, television was re-introduced
by RCA on September 17.
1947 - Post-war television table-model 630TS offered
1948 - RCA purchased the Farnsworth Radio and Television
plant in Marion, Indiana.
1949 - Jean Polonsky supplied a television transmitter
using triode and tetrode tubes to Radio Télévision
1950 - Charles Beurtheret of Thomson-Houston in
France, developed the Vapotron, an innovative anode cooled by
1951 - Epsztain patented a microwave oscillator tube
called the Carcinotron.
1952 - Paul Richard took over the helm of Hotchkiss
and merged with its rival Delahaye and gained control of the entire
French market for the jeep. RCA opens a television and radio plant
in Mexico City.
1953 - CSF's engineers were behind the unique Eurovision
broadcast of the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. RCA electronic
compatible color TV selected as the NTSC standard.
1954 - NBC broadcasted the first national color television
program - the Tournament of Roses Parade from Pasadena. The first
RCA consumer color televisions were produced in March in Bloomington.
The first 54 cm sets came off the production line at Nanteuil
(France) and so, at the end of the Fifties, CFTH had conquered
one-eighth of the market for television sets.
1956 - Henri de France developed the Secam process.
Hotchkiss and Brandt were merged.
1957 Georges Glasser was appointed chairman of Alsthom.
SFRE merged with CSF and diversified.
1958 A team of engineers directed by Guy Le Parquier
produced the Cyrano on-board radar for the Mirage III. The British
firm Pathé-Marconi leased its television, wireless and
record player business to Thomson, together with the famous Pathé-Marconi
brand. Thomson handed over to Pathé-Marconi, its record
business under the well-known lyrebird label.
1959 CFTH became a leader in France. "Bonanza", the
most popular TV show of the 1960's, premiers in color on NBC.